At the NIHFCU, we take security very seriously. That’s why all of our Visa Credit and Debit cards now come with a small chip that provides BIG protection.
· Enhanced fraud protection: When you use your card at a chip-activated terminal, the embedded chip generates a one-time use code. This code is virtually impossible to counterfeit and helps reduce in-store fraud.
· Easy to use: Simply swipe your card like you do today. However, if a chip-activated terminal is available, insert your card instead and follow the prompts.
· Global Acceptance: More merchants are accepting chip transactions every day. Whether you check out using chip technology or swipe your card, you can pay with confidence wherever Visa cards are accepted.
Answers to questions about chip technology:
What is a chip card?
A: NIHFCU's Visa Credit and Debit Cards now feature chip technology. You'll enjoy global acceptance plus an enhanced level of security.
Where can I use a chip card?
A: You can use your card at millions of places that accept Visa credit cards, at home and around the world.
Can I still swipe my card to pay?
A: If a merchant is not yet chip-activated, you can continue to swipe your card to pay.
Will I have to pay any fees to use a chip card?
A: No. There are no additional fees to use a chip card.
I have an NIHFCU debit card that does not currently have a chip. When will I receive a chip-enabled card?
A: NIHFCU Debit card holders will be issued a chip-enabled debit card when their current debit card expires or if a replacement is needed due to loss or theft.
Should I be concerned with security of a debit card without chip technology?
A: No, your NIHFCU debit card is still safe to use as normal. You can continue to swipe your card until your new chip card arrives. The credit union monitors your debit card 24/7 for suspicious activity to help prevent fraud. In addition, you are always covered by the Visa Zero Liability Policy, which means you aren't liable for any unauthorized charges made using your card. You also have the option to pay securely using Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay at participating merchants.
What if I have more questions?
A: If you have questions that are not covered here, please call 800.877.6440 or stop by any branch.
HOW IT WORKS
For chip activated terminals,
follow these easy steps to use your chip-enabled debit card:
1. Insert the chip end of your card
into the terminal with the chip
2. Keep your card in the terminal,
follow the prompts on screen.
3. Remove card when prompted.
Click below to watch an intro video from VISA